It's hard to believe that it has been over a month since I have updated my blog! To those who were concerned, I am indeed still alive and heading to Kenya! The month of March was a rather challenging one as I was plagued with illness twice and trying to balance way too many plates. However, I am happy to report that I came out unscathed, and have learned much about the Lord through the past six weeks. I've tried to write this blog numerous times, but I can't seem to get it just right. I have finally decided that it is what it is, and the Lord can use my fumbled words to touch those He wants to touch regardless.
For those of you who know me well, you know that I am a Type A planner to the "T." I like to know everything in advance, I thrive on organization, and I avoid failure and uncertainty at any cost. Unfortunately for me, life doesn't run on a perfectly organized timeline. In the past six weeks, the Lord has really "rocked my world" for a lack of better words, but I am coming to realize that my world needed to be rocked, in fact, it needed an earthquake.
When I decided to go to Africa, I had no doubt that the Lord was calling me there, and I had no worry about his provision both financially, spiritually, and physically (time and energy). I trusted that he would provide for me every step of the way to see that I was able to fulfill His purpose; well that was until I hit the first unexpected speed bump. I tend to be very trusting until events take place in which I don't have a sense of control, as I think many of us would say is the case. Believe it or not, the first speed bump I hit was the illness I had this winter. I knew that January to June was going to be a very busy time in my life, but being the Type A organizer that I am, I had it all planned out so that I could be as efficient as possible. I had fundraisers to attend and plan, school responsibilities, church responsibilities, planning for Passion Ft. Worth, etc. Then I got sick, not once, but twice. Now, in the grand scheme of things, I was sick with just minor infections, but for someone who has taught for 6 years and never missed school because of being sick, this rocked my world. My entire timeline was thrown off balance. I could no longer push myself to function at my usual pace, but taking time to rest meant the rest of my life would enter a season of chaos. In the midst of the chaos, my car needed rather expensive, unforseen repairs twice that left me without transportation. This meant I was missing meetings with my Africa team, school, church events, etc. Things were no longer in my control. Just as I began to enter my pity party and fret about how I was going to get everything done, something supernatural occurred. A very close friend of mine delivered a little miracle named Ben. We had been preparing for Ben for months. She followed all the doctors orders and took every precaution necessary. We all anxiously awaited his arrival, but were unprepared for what would occur at his birth. Ben had a rather difficult entry into this world, and soon after we would learn that Ben has special needs. My heart ached for days at the trials my friend would be facing, and how her "big plans" for sweet Ben were simply crushed in an instant. This wasn't in her "plan." We had it all figured out, or so we thought. All of the sudden my wacked out timeline and petty infections didn't seem like a big deal. Why would the Lord allow this to happen, she did everything right? Then, as if Jesus was in the flesh performing a miracle, I watched as a worried mother and precious friend was overcome by a peace that passes all understanding. I watched her embrace every challenge with grace, and she had a peace in knowing that God has a bigger plan. I then watched as God used this sweet baby boy (who is secretly mine) to change the hearts of many people. I quickly realized that even though we may plan everything in life exactly the way we anticipate it to go, God has an ultimate plan. Rather than fretting over losing control, and worrying as to whether or not God knows what He is doing, we must take comfort in knowing that as Jeremiah 29:11 states, God knows the plans He has for us, and they are greater than we could ever imagine! God used this "unexpected blessing" in the form of a precious baby boy to change many lives, and He will do that with my journey to Africa if I have full trust in His provision and direction.
Ben would be only the first of many lessons I would begin to learn on this journey. As I was able to successfully survive the month of March, I could not have ended it in a better way than to head to Passion Ft. Worth with some of the most amazing people I know! God used Passion, as He always has, to confirm that I am called to go. . . to carry His name. I carry so many "names" around with me everyday, yet those names mean nothing if I am not carrying the name above all names!
I have also come to realize that, although I had "planned and anticipated" that I would be used to spread His name in Africa, God is using this very event to spread his name here, at home. I have been amazed, and often speechless, at the numerous opportunities and discussions that have been placed before me to share about my Savior through this journey. As people learn where I am going and what I am doing, it has opened the door for me to share about my Jesus. I have been able to share that He's not a figure head that forces me to go to church on Sunday and live inside a legalistic box. Rather, He is a loving Savior who desires nothing more than for me to engage in the work He is doing to share with others that He is the way, truth, and life. He is freedom, and most importantly, He is love.
The Lord continues to provide for this journey I am on. I am happy to report that thanks to the generosity of many people who are so dear to me, I have surpassed my fundraising goal! In fact, a few weeks ago, I said to my mom, "You know, I'm so blessed to have raised substantial support, but it is all in the Hope account, and I can't access any of that to help cover out of pocket expenses, such as several hundreds of dollars in medical fees, and I just wish I could use that to help me." By only the grace of God, I returned from Texas to find the exact amount needed in personal checks to me in my mailbox! Now, can I just say, the Lord provides! We have held three successful fundraisers, and we are continuing to collect contributions to be used for the purchase of books when we get to Kenya.
Please continue to pray for our team. We are now beginning the spiritual preparation for our trip, and as you know, when you are following the direction of the Lord, Satan is right behind you biting at your ankles the whole way. I continue to claim the verses in Philippians 3:12-14. I do not claim to know it all, or be anywhere close to perfect, however, I do know that Christ has a work for me, so I press on to the goal He has set before me!
In Christ,
Katie
thanks for sharing this. I am blessed by your note.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty! God continuously teaches me that HE, not ME is in control ;)
ReplyDelete