Sunday, May 15, 2011

We Are Members of One Body

I thought it was about time to update my blog, as today marks the one month countdown until I board a plane and head on the adventure of a lifetime!! Since my last post, I've secured a new passport (a much more frustrating experience than the last time), received multiple shots and medications, and had multiple opportunities to bond with my team. In each step of this journey, I try to take a step back and reflect on how God is using each step of this process to reveal more of Himself to me.

The greatest truth that has been revealed to me the past few weeks, is that we truly are members of one body, created for relationship and fellowship with each other in the love of Christ. A few Monday's ago, one of our team members, Greg, invited us to his family's home for dinner. As we all sat around the table, I meditated on the divine appointment we each had to be part of this journey together. We are quite the interesting bunch; a father with his teenage daughter, a young family from Kenya with two precious daughters, three teachers with various levels of experience, two young professionals, and a mother with her two college sons from Boston. We have all traveled different paths to bring us to this appointed time, and Christ has worked very differently in our lives, but we all share a love of our Lord and a desire to see people come to know him and understand the depths of His love! As different as we are, God has sought to bring us all together to accomplish his purpose. Only in the family of God would this work so well. I am reminded of the new testament scriptures that tell us that each child of the King is created with specific and important gifts, and we must join as a body to use our gifts. We are most effective when we function as a body, uniting our gifts, rather than seeking our own paths. As we have all spent time together, it's amazing how God has been revealing our individual strengths that compliment others' weaknesses.

We continue to seek your earnest prayers, as the orphanage has faced multiple challenges in recent weeks. Funding to complete the new building has run short, so we are praying for the Lord's provision. They also recently received notification from the owner of the building they currently reside in stating they are to move by the end of the month. This presents many challenges, as the new buildings are not yet ready for the children. We know God has a divine plan, and we prayerfully ask for his provision, direction, and discernment.

As we near our departure date, several of us are also facing personal challenges, yours truly in particular. I ask that you continue to pray that Satan does not get my attention, but that I continue to keep my eyes and heart focused on the work God is doing, and going to do, in and through me. I am a vessel of the Savior, and I desire to be used as He sees fit. I'm learning to let go of control, and let the Lord lead. . . I'm more type A than I thought ;)

I appreciate all of your support, love, and prayers!

Until next time. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment